Monday, January 31, 2011

February Class: High-waisted Skirt with Zipper






Ok ladies I have searched high and low for a cute easy skirt.  High-waisted skirts are flattering on most everyone. {Thank you Leslie for showing me this one.}  I have finally selected this darling one entitled, The "Taking Notes" Skirt from the ever so talented Kelly Crawford of the blog Sewing in No Mans Land.  I have been corresponding with Kelly, (who lives on a tiny island North of Australia by the way!) who has been so kind to answer all my questions.  I want to make sure that I can teach it to you properly so you won't throw yours hands up and chuck your half sewn skirt across the room or in the trash.  


We are up for this challenge, right?!  I had only a few takers for the tote bag and I know more of you are capable of stepping outside your sewing comfort zone!!  This is a great skirt and in the process of making it you will learn how to apply interfacing and put in a zipper.  Daunting, no?!  We can do this together.  Kelly has told me that she would LOVE to see photos of our finished skirts:-)  


I am in the process of making the skirt right now, but I wanted you to have plenty of time to choose your fabric and notions.  Joann's currently has a 40% and 50% off coupon for in-store fabric purchases.  Check your email!  


Supplies to bring for your
HIGH-WAISTED SKIRT WITH ZIPPER


1 1/2 to 3 yards** of fabric (no knit)
**depends on how gathered you'd like your skirt- see post above for measurement calculations**
1/3 yard of fusible light interfacing
9" zipper to match fabric
Thread -one spool - choose one that will match the dominant color in your fabric.  i always pull out the thread from the spool and lay it on my fabric to see how it looks since sometimes the color of the thread all together on the spool is different from how it looks as a stitch.  choose a good general purpose thread - polyester is good for most fabrics.


Your basic sewing supplies
Machine
Machine manual
Scissors - dressmaker's (and a smaller pair would be helpful)
Tape measure
Straight pins
Seam ripper
Pressing cloth (I use a white dish towel or burp cloth)
Iron - really important!!
Ironing board (we need at least 1 per 2 people)

Once I finish my skirt, I'll post instructions on cutting out your pieces.
Happy fabric hunting!!!

5 comments:

The Dwelley's said...

I am going to taking on this project. I can't wait. I am going to go shoping for fabric this week. This will be a good easter skirt :)

stina said...

Ooo-That's really cute. I'm in.

Briana @ Sweet Dreams are Made of These said...

Absolutely Michelle! so fun for you. so just for logistical purposes, will you each have a sewing machine or will they just be looking on over yours?

Briana

The Dwelley's said...

My sister-in-law is going to do this class too :)

Briana @ Sweet Dreams are Made of These said...

Leslie is coming too!